Our Spring Term was an extremely busy one with lots of exciting events and activities taking place. These included:
- Scooter training for children in Years 1, 2 & 3
- The school choir taking part in the Young Voices event at Sheffield Arena
- An amazing fortnight of international and Fairtrade activities
- A visit to London for a group of our Year 6 children to look at democracy at a National level
- A visit from Debs from Eggucation and a film crew when we received our eggs which have since hatched into seven lovely chicks
- Our ‘Shakespeare in a Day’ event for the whole school, culminating in a performance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- Our Family Workshop afternoon linked to our International & Fairtrade Fortnight
- Our Sports Relief events with children competing against the staff in their class (and winning!)
- Over forty children achieved their Spring Term Reading Ladder Award for 50 days of reading
- Our Musical Showcase Assembly where our talented musicians shared their talents with the whole school
- Two computing theme days for Kangaroos’ class focusing on programming and animation
- Many sporting events both locally and further afield for children of all ages, including Olympic Day at the English Institute of Sport.
More information about many of these activities can be found on the individual blogs of each of the classes.
We have been focusing on safety and wellbeing in many of our assemblies this term. We have discussed how we stay safe in school and the importance of sharing worries. We have introduced a Worry Box where children can share any worries that they may have which has been really successful and have led to initiatives such as our relaxation sessions for Year 6 pupils who were a bit worried about the forthcoming SATs tests.
We also had an assembly on the Underwear Rule which resulted in many amazing entries to our Design a Pair of Pants competition. Congratulations to the winners: Jessica, Charlie, Tulisa & Noah, who each received some Crayola art supplies in recognition of their super designs. You can see all of the entries on our Underwear Rule display in the school hall.
I have been overwhelmed by the number and quality of entries into this year’s decorate an egg competition and the number of Easter bonnets created. It is lovely to see children and families working together to create such beautiful products. All of the children who created a bonnet have received an Easter egg. The egg decorating competition winners were:
|Learning Lemurs||Ted Milnes & Poppy Needham|
|Capitalising Kangaroos||Ollie Barnham-Wilkin & Poppy Parker|
|Listening Lions||Lydia Braithwaite & Charlie Kershaw|
|Planning Peacocks||Alicia Davies & Charlie Oldfield|
|Empathising Elephants||Abbie Riley & Kyle Bacon|
|‘Children’s Choice’||Archie Riley|
The winners have received a large Easter egg with a smaller egg for all of the entrants in recognition of their super efforts. As we did last year, we have aimed to recognise the efforts of the children themselves and also the families who have worked together to create their child’s entry to the competition.
Thank you also to all of the staff and parents who organised and ran our Easter Disco. Without the time and commitment given by this relatively small group, we would be unable to run the number of school events that we do. Thank you also to each member of our staff team – each of whom goes above and beyond to ensure that our children receive the care, guidance and support that they would want for their own child.
I am very much looking forward to seeing what the Summer Term brings and to creating lots of exciting memories of our wonderful children, staff and parents.